Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Real Life Experiences: Grocery Shopping

Since I wasn't able to work the whole go-shopping-with-Mom-when-I-first arrive-so-she-can-pay-for-the-first-batch-of-groceries routine, last night was my first adventure into the supermarket to do grocery shopping for reals. This is the big time. No running in to get milk or buy cereal and poptarts. This is buying food to SURVIVE (without Subway and Panera).

Jayne and Isabel (2/3 of my housemates) and I made the trip to McCaffery's down in Princeton Shopping Center, and what a trip it was. To make a long, uninteresting story very short, I learned that grocery shopping is not an easy thing to do for the first time because:

1) You need to know what you want to make.

2) You need to know how long things last.

3) You don't want to spend too much money.

4) You have to plan for frequent trips.

5) Dividing up the bill is a pain in the rear.

Despite these challenges, we managed to spend a grand total of $169.52 on groceries, and are preparing for the house's first organized meal of spaghetti and salad tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment